We might be a little biased, but this is the cutest DIY Halloween countdown we have ever seen! Crafted out of felt and vinyl, you can make your own version using our pattern and tutorial below.
This is a beginner project with minimal sewing involved. However, you’ll want to give yourself some time to order whatever materials you might need and to get it all done by the first of October. Overall we estimate it will take about three days to finish this Halloween countdown, but it’s worth it for something you can use year after year!
This is one of those projects you’ll want to display all October and be a little sad to take down after the holiday. But since it’s made out of felt, you can safely fold it up, store it, and enjoy it for a long time. We could even see this being a special keepsake for kids and something they’ll want to use in the future.
As you are crafting your Halloween countdown, you’ll notice that many of the windows have pockets. These are perfect for little candies or other fun treats. And this way you don’t have to fill every day with something — it can just be a cute and fun countdown to the holiday with the occasional little treat!
Crafting tips: Make sure to tile together the PDF paper pattern because of the size of the bigger pieces, but the smaller felt details can be cut with a Cricut Maker or Silhouette Cameo 4. Note: The PDF has placement guidelines for all of the details. Additionally, there are optimized SVGs for the iron-on designs to fit on a 12″x12″ cutting mat and save material, but there is also another file with them all in the same place.
Displaying tips: Our tutorial will show you how to make loops on the back so you can hang your Halloween countdown. You can hang your countdown on small-sized Command hooks, and if you find that the top is a little floppy, you can add another layer of stabilizer to the back to make it more firm.
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- Lia Griffith’s Wool Blend Felt — Slate (x3), Pebble, Olive, Shady Grove(x2), Amethyst, Purple Sage, Paprika, Mustard, and Rose Quartz
- Iron-On Vinyl — Siser Easyweed Vegas Gold (x2), Lilac, Wicked Purple, Charcoal, Texas Orange, Melon, and White
- Embroidery Floss — Dark Blueberry (32), Dark Shell Gray (451), Medium Copper (920), Very Dark Straw (3852), and Very Light Shell Pink (224)
- Extra Firm Fusible Interfacing — Heat N Bond
- Small Command Hooks (for hanging your countdown)
How to Make a Halloween Countdown
- Gather your craft tools and materials. You will need three sheets of 12″x18″ Slate felt, 2 sheets of Shady Grove, and one sheet of the other colors plus two sheets of 12″x12″ Vegas Gold vinyl and one sheet of the other colors.
- Print and cut out the PDF pattern, taping the oversized pieces together where indicated. Cut out felt according to pattern using a Cricut Maker/Silhouette Cameo 4 (for the smaller pieces only) or scissors. Some parts of the house are made up of multiple pieces of felt glued together because they are larger than 12″x18″, but these seams will be hidden. Keep the paper patterns to use as a guide for placement later. The blue dotted lines indicate where pieces will overlap and where to place them — and the grey lines indicate the iron-on design.
- Cut out the iron-on designs using a cutting machine (remember to mirror the designs before cutting!). There is an optimized SVG file grouped by color to fit on a 12″x12″ mat with material (except for the gold details) as well as a file with everything together to cut how you want. Weed out the vinyl designs, but keep them together on the backer sheet until you need them.
- The larger felt pieces that make up the majority of the house will be assembled with a 1/4″ overlap. Keep a ruler or seam gauge handy for assembly.
Full tutorial available for members to download below.
See what else you can make for Halloween. Or, if you love working with felt, browse all of our felt crafts for more ideas. Also, don’t forget to check out the rest of the projects in our September collection!